“Let us consider the way in which we spend our lives.”
-Henry David Thoreau
How did I get here?
Is this what I wanted for my life? Is this what I chose?
Life can be messy. Many of us go long stretches of our lives on autopilot. We sleepwalk through our days.
“It is remarkable how easily and insensibly we fall into a particular route, and make a beaten-track for ourselves.”
-Henry David Thoreau
Quality of Life Assessment
Evaluate your quality of life in ten key areas by taking our assessment. Discover your strongest areas, and the areas that need work, then act accordingly.
The Trap of Drifting through Life
One of the common traps of living is drifting: getting carried along by the current of outside influences, without traction on our deeper aims.
At some point, we stop and take stock, only to find that we’ve been wandering aimlessly.
Even while busy and pressed, we’ve been passive. Or reacting. Or settling.
Given these tendencies, we need to pause and take stock. Begin with questions:
- Are you clear and intentional about a deeper purpose, about upholding your core values, and moving toward a compelling vision of what a good life would be for you, your family, your friends, your colleagues, and your community?
- Are you demonstrating agency? Initiative? Ownership? Responsibility? Action?
- Are you proactive?
If you don’t like the answers to these questions, don’t beat yourself up. The good news is that you’ve now regained your awareness. Go easy on yourself, but commit to taking your life back.
Next, as you think through what to do, avoid the trap of analysis paralysis. You don’t need a perfect plan for how to fix everything.
What you need most of all is to start.
Take the Traps Test
We all fall into traps in life. Sometimes we’re not even aware of it, and we can’t get out of traps we don’t know we’re in. Evaluate yourself with our Traps Test.
Tools for You
- Quality of Life Assessment so you can discover your strongest areas and the areas that need work, then act accordingly.
- Traps Test (Common Traps of Living) to help you identify what’s getting in the way of your happiness and quality of life
- Personal Values Exercise to help you clarify what’s most important to you
Personal Values Exercise
Complete this exercise to identify your personal values. It will help you develop self-awareness, including clarity about what’s most important to you in life and work, and serve as a safe harbor for you to return to when things are tough.
- “Taking Stock of Your Quality of Life“
- “The Trap of Deferring Dreams and Postponing Happiness”
- “The Conformity Trap”
- “The Problem with Lacking Clarity in Your Life”
- “How to Craft a Vision of the Good Life“
- “The Complacency Trap”
- “Are You Feeling Empty Inside?”
- “How to Be More Decisive in Your Life and Leadership”
- “How Inertia Keeps Us from Making Needed Changes”
- “Do You Have Limiting Beliefs about Yourself?”
- “The Trap of Losing Yourself”
- “What Keeps Us from Moving On?”
- “Are We Numbing Our Lives Away?”
- “Self-Deception: Why We Do It and How to Stop It”
- “Golden Handcuffs—Stuck in a Job You Don’t Like?”
- “Tired of Settling? How to Light Your Life and Work on Fire”
- “Time to Check the Path You’re On?”
Gregg Vanourek’s NewsletterJoin our community. Sign up now and get Gregg Vanourek’s monthly inspirations (new articles, opportunities, and resources). Welcome!
Gregg Vanourek is a writer, teacher, TEDx speaker, and coach on leadership and personal development. He is co-author of three books, including LIFE Entrepreneurs: Ordinary People Creating Extraordinary Lives (a manifesto for integrating our life and work with purpose, passion, and contribution) and Triple Crown Leadership: Building Excellent, Ethical, and Enduring Organizations (a winner of the International Book Awards). Check out his Best Articles or get his monthly newsletter. If you found value in this article, please forward it to a friend. Every little bit helps!